Which are the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors? If you’re one of the many people who’s looking for information on how to best grow your own vegetables indoors, you’ve likely come across information about which vegetables grow best in greenhouses. While there is a huge amount of information out there, not all of it is correct. It is important to do a little research into what exactly works best for you.
Here are some of the things you should know about the 5 Best Vegetables to Grow Indoors when it comes to knowing which vegetables you should be growing in your houses indoors.
Herbs are one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors. Most people, when they hear the word “herb”, automatically assume indoor herb gardening. The fact is that there are several different types of herbs that can be grown both inside and out. Some of these herbs are commonly used in cooking. Others are simply for ornamental purposes
1.1 Tips for Growing Herbs Indoors
If you are thinking of planting herbs in pots and containers then you will want to read this article which contains a lot of tips for growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors.
1.1.1 Provide Full Range of Sunlight
You should consider what part of your home will get the most sunlight when planning your herbs’ garden.
18.104.22.168 Place at a Sunny Spot
If you have a sunny window, then growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors in pots is the way to go.
- Some herbs do very well in full sunlight but will burn if kept in a partially shaded area or in an area that receives less sunshine.
- It’s important that the area in which you are growing herbs has direct access to a full range of light.
22.214.171.124 Requirement of Sunlight
Providing adequate light to your plants is one of the key factors in growing herbs indoors. Most herbs prefer 6 – 8 hours of natural sunshine per day.
1.1.2 Use Terracotta Pots
When you are starting out you should try to use pots that are made from terracotta.
- These are very attractive and are very sturdy. Other types of containers include glass, terracotta clay, and plastic.
126.96.36.199 Use Pots Suitable for Herbs
When you are looking for containers make sure that they are labeled as being suitable for herbs.
1.1.3 Provide Humidity
When you are growing plants indoors, you should keep in mind that you will need a lot of humidity. This can be tricky, though if you are just starting out.
188.8.131.52 Use Humidifier
One way to increase the humidity level in your indoor garden is by putting a humidifier in your house.
1.1.4 Water Requirement
Like many other indoor herbs, water is a concern for growing herbs indoors.
There are two kinds of watering you should provide to this of 5 best vegetables to grow indoors:
- One inch of water per week for every four inches of growing height, and two inches of water per week for every one inch of growing height.
184.108.40.206 Don’t Over-water
Do not over-water, because you may damage the roots.
1.1.5 Best Fertilizer
When choosing the right fertilizer, choose one which contains rich compost or bark dust instead of store-bought fertilizers.
- These types of fertilizers are readily available at garden centers and at many stores.
1.2 Some Best Herbs to be Grown Indoors
If you live in an apartment then you can still get some benefit from growing herbs as an indoor plant. Some of the best herbs to grow in a small apartment include:
- Chives, and
Growing scallions indoors is very easy. Just buy scallions they should be still fresh; do not try to use dried-out scallions, way past their prime. Put them into a glass, cover the green part of the bulb with a thin sheet of plastic wrap and let them soak for an hour or so. It is an important plant in the list of 5 best vegetables to grow indoors.
Then you can either grow them directly in potting soil or grow them inside a bed of pebbles soaked in water, just the way you would grow paper fruits. The first time you try growing them indoors, it’s best to use small containers.
2.1 Tips for Growing Scallions Indoors
2.1.1 Requirement of Sunlight
Keep in mind, however, that these plants do best if you have at least four hours of daylight during the day.
- This means you should place the pot in the sun during the middle of the day. During the evenings, you should switch the pots to a shady area.
- In winter months, you should move the pots to areas that receive sunshine.
2.1.2 Keep the Pests Away
You should make sure that there are no pests present in or near the container that you are growing your scallions in.
2.1.3 Keep Scallions Clean
Like most houseplants, scallions do well when kept clean.
2.1.4 Enhance Growth of Scallions
There are numerous ways in which you can enhance the growth of your scallions indoors so that they will develop into beautiful flowers.
220.127.116.11 Pinching Off the Top of Flower
One such way to grow scallions is by pinching off the top of the flower that you wish to grow.
- By doing this, you are ensuring that the plant develops a fuller top, and thus, will grow larger.
Next on the list of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors is Microgreens. Microgreens indoors are just as rewarding as outdoor garden vegetables. You can have a small but bountiful garden all year round! All that is needed is a good growing medium, a proper location, and a fair amount of dedicated time.
Since microgreens like most other vegetables are fast-growing plants, you should not need to water much. However, some care should still be taken when watering, especially if you live in a cold or wet area.
3.1 Tips for Growing Microgreens Indoors
3.1.1 Provide Adequate Sunlight
Microgreens don’t like very high temperatures, so the best place to grow them is on a windowsill or patio with a decent amount of exposure to sunlight.
- These should be kept out of direct sunlight to avoid burning.
3.1.2 Maintain Moisture Level
While growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors. It’s very important to monitor the moisture level in the room where you’re growing microgreens indoors or they will dry out and become brittle.
- A good way to figure out the moisture content of the area is to moisten a piece of paper with water and place it against the wall.
3.1.3 Maintain Humidity Level
Most indoor plants like Microgreens don’t like a low level of humidity. So, during the growing season, make sure to provide a humidifier if you have one.
3.1.4 Provide Nutrients
Most microgreen plants are going to do fine with regular fertilization.
- However, make sure you check the soil for nutrient content.
- If you see any problems with moisture content or if you feel that you need to give it a better nutrient mixture, it is a good idea to give the plants fertilizer.
3.1.5 Notice temperature
Some experts recommend using a thermometer to determine when you have the best temperature for growing microgreens.
- Other than that, just follow the instructions on the package. When you use seeds make sure you have fresh seed packets for planting.
Next on the list of 5 best vegetables to grow indoors is lettuce. Lettuce is a popular crop because it is easy to grow, fairly inexpensive, and very versatile crop. You can grow it in many different configurations. However, if you are not accustomed to growing indoor plants, you may find the following tips for growing lettuce indoors useful. There are three main varieties of lettuce and these are English, French and Italian.
4.1 Tips for Growing Lettuce Indoors
4.1.1 Use Containers with Good Drainage
You will also need a large container with good drainage, which is made especially for growing lettuce indoors. The container should be at least one foot wider and longer than the seedlings themselves.
4.1.2 Use Well-drained Soil
One tip for growing lettuce is that they do best in well-drained soil. Therefore, it is important to have a sturdy table top and soil mix for your indoor garden.
4.1.3 Use Organic Compost
You should use organic compost as the fertilizer since the commercial fertilizers may contain chemicals that may be harmful to your indoor garden.
- Make sure that the soil mixture is well rotted before you plant your seedlings.
18.104.22.168 Fertilize the Plant
It is also advisable to add some manure or bone meal so that the plants get good nutrition. Your indoor garden will need periodic fertilizing, which can be done once a month.
22.214.171.124 Keep the Soil Moist
The other important tip for growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors is ensuring that the soil is always moist, even after it has been watered.
- This way, the root system will get more space to spread and grow, thereby ensuring that the plant grows healthy.
126.96.36.199 Do Not Over-water
Another important tip for growing lettuce is to avoid over-watering. This is because when the soil is overwatered, the plants tend to wilt.
- If you feel that the soil is too dry, then it may be better to use a water sprayer to water the plants.
188.8.131.52 Best time to Water
The best time to water your plants is in the morning, and you should do this every single day.
4.1.5 Provide Humidity
When growing lettuce, one of the most important tips for growing lettuce is to provide a humid environment.
- Avoid placing lettuce plants too close to one another, as they do not like having their roots touching.
4.1.6 Provide Sunlight
During the summer months, it is very important for your plants to receive the right amount of sunlight. It will be best to place them in the most open areas of your home.
- Too much direct sunlight can cause your plants to slowly turn brown and die.
Hot-peppers are also on the list of 5 best vegetables to grow indoors. A lot of people want to know how to grow hot-peppers indoors, but they are a little intimidated because they don’t know how to go about doing it. Growing them outdoors can be a great way to save money, but they take up a lot of space and they can be dangerous to the plants you put inside.
If you do grow them indoors, you want to make sure that you keep their environment healthy. Here are some tips for growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors.
5.1 Tips for Growing Hot-Pepper Indoors
5.1.1 Provide Good Soil
A tip for growing hot-peppers indoors is that you will need to provide them with good soil. You can buy compost at any gardening store.
- You will have to mix it well with the soil in the area that you are going to grow them in.
- Just be sure that you add plenty of water to the compost, as the plant needs to have plenty of water in order to thrive.
5.1.2 Get Drainage Holes
The next thing you will need to do for growing this one of the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors is to get some drainage holes. These holes should be dug around the base of the plants.
- This is a very important step, because it helps the plants to be able to breath and will keep them healthy.
- This is a crucial step that you cannot skip if you want to see healthy hot-peppers.
5.1.3 Requirement of Sunlight
When growing these hot peppers, you must be aware of the fact that they love lots of sunshine. Therefore, you need to provide them an adequate amount of sunlight.
- The plants will require around 6 hours of light per day, but, ensure that the area that receives six hours of light gets to be around ten to twelve feet from the main room.
Another important tip for growing hot-peppers is that it is very important to mulch the gardens with straw-based products.
- Such mulching techniques will not only ensure the perfect growing conditions for the plants but will also ensure that the insects and pests are kept at bay.
It was all you need to know about the 5 best vegetables to grow indoors. These vegetables can be grown quite easily, it will take a bit more work. You’ll need to learn a bit about indoor gardening and what exactly you need to do in order to make your plants healthy. If you have never done anything like this before, it might be a good idea to get someone who has the experience to help you. Your local home improvement center may even be able to give you some additional advice for making this a successful project